Sunday 5 April 2015

One Hour Wargames

Today I started a mini campaign using Neil Thomas' rules.

The action was scenario 14 and took place at Stammfeld.

 The scenario has the Eisenburgers attempting to hold both the town of Stammfeld and the large hill overlooking the area.
 Von Essling placed his guns on the high ground.
 And put a strong force in and around the town.
 The Altsteiners arrive!.
 Von Bruckenheim decides to bypass Stammfeld and capture the high ground and masses his forces to do so.
 Von Essling advances against the small covering force.
 The Altstein cavalry come under fire.
 As does the covering force.
 The rules per se do not have Generals in them but I made a house rule for them.
 I allowed a General to join a unit and roll one d6 to rally them, here Von Essling rallies the Grenadiers to only one hit point.
 Under heavy musket fire the first of Von Esslings battalions breaks.
 In the foreground the Altstein Dragoons break their opponents.
 A closer view.
 Fierce fighting near the town.
 The Dragoons charge the guns!. But are broken.
 Altstein infantry rout from the fray.
 The Grenadiers break the remaing Altstein cavalry and Von Bruckenheim is unhorsed, wounded and carried from the field by a brave trooper of Romany heritage named Jung. I ruled that a six rolled when a General is with a unit that takes hits will mean he is a casualty. 
 Weingartners jagers are under severe pressure.
 But force the Essling Fusiliers to break!.
 The Grenadier are broken and Von Essling falls wounded too.
 The light infantry shoot at each other indecisively.
 Now the Altstein infantry advance to the guns and fire!.
And the gunners cannot withstand the hail of lead.

A victory for Altstein.

14 comments:

  1. Great game, I hope to use these rules and scenarios for some Conan wargames one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to see that, I love your Old School Conan stuff.

      Delete
  2. I must admit the Neil Thomas stable of rules is very attractive. Good to see you knocking about the 18th century.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Conrad, the first game I played with this book was Scenario 1 (Pitched Battle 1) with some Romans and Spanish and was very dull. The second was a WW2 game with a different scenario and was better and then I brought out the 18th Century chaps and had a really good game. I reckon the rules are worth persevering with.

      Delete
  3. "Twas a famous victory! Thanks for sharing this cracklin' little action with us. I really enjoy seeing well painted figures moving around on the tabletop. Since I game in the same scale, I recognized the make and type of most of your figures, but not all. Can you list what miniature making companies contributed the recruits for you armies? I'm always on the lookout for compatible lines. Once again, a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin, the little guys are Revell, Italeri, Zvezda, Imex and Accurate with a few Airfix here and there. They are an eclectic mix of periods from the Great Northern War to the American War of Independence.

      Delete
  4. Good to see you back! And a great looking game. I must track down that particular Neil Thomas book given my own lack of much free time lately.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stokes, it was mainly your blog that got me started with my C18th project. The rules play fast, I played two more games today and will post them soon.

      Delete
  5. Reich Duke Wilhelm greatly enjoyed hearing of Graf Ludwig army latest victory and has requested the College of Honors invest Graf Ludwig into the Ancient and Honorable Order of the Tankard...Best regard,Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do me a great honour sir, I couldn't even remember that Ludwig was the top man in Altstein!.

      Delete
  6. "By God, that man does Little Wars honour"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug, how are you getting on with those planes?.

      Delete
    2. Well I have around 50 of them, but still missing some like the Stuka and the P-51, the Corsair etc. I bought a hex terrain matt from Hotz works.

      Delete
    3. That's good to hear Doug, it's a cracking game and the models are nice.
      Regards,
      Paul.

      Delete