Sunday 5 February 2017

Honours of War

Today I played a scenario from One Hour Wargames using Keith Flints SYW rules Honours of War published by Osprey. 

 The Eisenburgers in white had to hold both the village and the hill while the Altsteiners in blue would win by capturing either.
 Both sides had seven battalions of foot, two squadrons of horse and four light guns the Altsteiners also had a unit of Jager.
 Fighting for the village.
 Von Essling has prepared a trap for the Altsteiners attempting to outflank the village.
 While the hill is well defended.
 Von Bruckenheim pushes his men towards the hill.


 The Hecksheim regiment advance two battalions into the trap!.
 These two opposing units have five hits and are done for.
 The bluecoats win the cavalry battle.
 But the hill cannot be taken.
 All the Altstein line infantry stream from the field.
 The village has held too.
A good game. I like these rules, I left out the rules for commanders being hit and I rated all the commanders as dependable in order to keep things simple.

A good set of rules though, I recommend them to anyone interested in mid 18th Century wargames.

6 comments:

  1. Glad to see your 18th century troops back in action! Looks like a good game. Must add those rules to my mental list f things to procure at some point. WHa would say are the strengths of this particular rule set?

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stokes, it's nice to hear from you.

    Honours of War works well solo due to initiative rules for both moving and shooting which makes for a lot of decision making during play. Both moving and shooting is by alternate brigades from each side, the side with the initiative may start. It's quite neat.

    I also like the rules for rallying and returning to the fray, but when a unit is done for it is gone for good.
    I had to split my large regiments into smaller 16 or 24 man battalions and use my regiments as brigades but that's easy to do. I kind of spoiled "Charge" for myself by multi basing and having too many toy soldiers to handle myself. This game has no casualty removal and the current vogue of casualty/ morale markers works well with my multi based soldiers.

    Finally the rules are quite inexpensive.

    Thanks again,

    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you back in action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the rules recommendation
    Under the Lilly Banner seem to be too interpretive for easy play with ambiguous and confusing terms
    Looks like this should be a good investment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paul- I do like your Armies- beautifully done...Are they 1/72nd Plastics? Sorry if I'm wrong. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KEV, yes they're all plastics, I do most things on the cheap. If you have a gander at the old parts of the blog you'll see me daubing them. I love the toy soldier look.
      Thanks again,
      Paul.

      Delete